Thursday, January 06, 2011

"Go West Young Man"



Hello everyone, been a while right.

Like I said in my last post, I should be able to post something on here every week or so, depending on how crazy things go at university. With preparations for my master coming very soon, it looks like I will be one busy writer.

That being said, I was able to cook something up for the first week of January. I decided to stay away from the myriad of "Top [X]" lists that have been spawning all over the internet for the last few weeks in favour of a themed retrospective. I looked at four games from 2010 (Civilization 5, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout: New Vegas and Minecraft) and how they touch upon the concept of the frontier. Just go take a look at it.

In other news, it looks like I will be writing about games for school weekly once more the semester. I'm taking a psy class about emotions and motivations, and the work for the semester is to write one to two pages per week about anything in relation to what we are seeing in class that week. It's basically like the myspace business from last semester but without myspace, meaning it's a hundred times less annoying. Let's just hope writing about games weekly in french won't stop me from writing weekly in english.

Also, I went at the Mount Royal Game Society yesterday evening. It was pretty great. I met cool people, saw a live demo of Fract, got my ass kicked by a retro game (damn those monkeys!) and saw a girl wearing a sombrero in the middle of winter on my way back home. Pretty great evening indeed!

No comments: